GUI Based VSAN Bootstrap VCSA Deployment

When deploying my 3 node NUC VSAN lab I got to try out the new bootstrap vcsa gui installer blogged about here…

https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/2017/04/25/bootstrap-vcsa-with-vsan-easy-install/#respond

Once you download and unpack the VCSA you’ll find a file called installer within the following path %filepath%\vcsa-ui-installer\win32\installer.exe (there’s a MAC & LINUX option too)

You need to have installed ESXi on your target host first, also if your networking is trunked to the ESXi host, make sure you tag the VM port group where the VCSA will reside before deploying.

By default this installer will enable the MGMT VMK for VSAN, this was fine with me as once the VCSA was deployed I retrospectively changed all the VSAN related host settings.

You will also need the VCSA to be resolvable by the DNS server you specify during the setup, I already had a Domain Controller deployed within workstation on my laptop which was routable from my lab network so I used that.

The Gui is relatively straight forward, ensure you select the option to install on a new virtual san cluster.

1

IP the VCSA

2

Select the disks on the host for the approproiate teir, if you want to enable Dedup do it now as the disk group will need to be evaucated to enable dedup and compression at a later date!

3

Do the traditional next next finish and it’ll start deploying. The VCSA deployment is now two step, once this stage is complete you need to log into the VCSA Mgmt page to complete the remainder of the setup.

4

Here is the proof of the pudding; my incredibly annoyingly named disks are now claimed by VSAN

5

The host is also now a member of a VSAN cluster.

6

A single host vsanDatastore

7

You can now complete the configuration through the vCenter

vCenter 6u2a Upgrade failure with error 3010

I had an issue upgrading a VC to 6.0u2a recently, when running the upgrade I received the error “failed with error code 3010”

1

There’s a VMware KB here which explains the issue, however the resolution description is light on detail.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2149266

Check the pkgmgr-comp-msi.log to find out what DLL is locked; the log files will be in the ZIP file downloaded when the installation fails.

I found it useful to search for “is being held in use” within this log file to identify the dll being held.

2

In my case it was vmeventmsg.dll.

I stopped the vCenter Service (which in turn stops all other services that the VC is a decency of)

Using process explorer

Download – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Open process explorer and select “show details for all processes”  under file.

3

Under view ensure “Show processes from all users” is selected.

4

Select  Find > find handle or ddl (ctrl+f) and seach for the dll identified in the pkgmgr-comp-msi.log, the PID will be listed (in my case 912)

5

In process explorer kill the process that’s holding the dll hostage, by right clicking and selecting “Kill Process”

6

NOTE – I first tried using taskkill to end the process however it didn’t work, even though it would be listed when running tasklist.

Double check in processes explorer that the DLL is no longer in use.

Re-run the VC upgrade, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.

7